- Transfer of a new site to the domain
- Transfer website to https
- Content: blog materials, posts, e-mail
- Promotion of content on Facebook and Vkontakte
- On brand
- TOTAL. What are we all about?
- How many pieces of content were created by us?
- What content formats did we use?
- What channels did we use?
- How many direct costs by channel?
- What are the traffic results?
- What is the visibility of target queries?
- What about the lead?
- Which channel is more effective?
- What is the conclusion?
- Update 12/25/2017
Perhaps, from the main thing - we have completed the public project "Helicopters". It was an open experiment, which we launched on January 1, 2016 on the terms - that we have been promoting the project //helico-russia.ru/ for free for a whole year and openly publish all the statistics - traffic, applications, expenses. During the year we were engaged in integrated Internet marketing, based on the creation and distribution of content.
Of course, we will summarize the results, but first, about the works that were carried out between October and January 2017 inclusive. There were a lot of them, I will touch on the main, the most interesting ones.
Transfer of a new site to the domain
Creating and distributing content is the essence of content marketing, but nobody has canceled the work on improving the site as the main channel for receiving traffic.
1. In October, we moved the new website we developed from the test domain to the combat domain helico-russia.ru. Why actually new? For many reasons, the main ones are: We have significantly changed the structure of the site: streamlined commercial sections - Helicopter catalog, Additional equipment, Services, Training - by implementing a logical hierarchy.
2. Implemented filter functionality in two sections - Helicopter Catalog and Additional Equipment.
The filter allows you to create a large number of relevant pages for certain parameters, and therefore for key queries:
- by manufacturer - Robinson, Airbus Helicopters (Eurocopter), AgustaWestland, Bell
- as-new / resource
- by the number of places
- by appointment - medical, VIP, search and rescue, etc.
For filtering pages, we implemented automatic output of H1, Title, Description meta tag templates. It is just convenient and a must have for large projects with a wide catalog of products for which writing meta tags manually is an unaffordable luxury.
I will show how this works on the example of the H1 header.
We created such a pattern H1: Buy a helicopter.
What is indicated in parentheses is the filter parameters, i.e. variables that the user sets. They are automatically inserted into the template, thus generating a relevant header:
3. Another of the significant changes is the new Home. On it, we more clearly reflected the main thing - that Helico Group is a stable helicopter company that follows market news and develops, has certificates, and a wide catalog of helicopters and services. Therefore, here we assembled the slider with the main manufacturers, company certificates, preview of the helicopter catalog, implemented the output of the latest articles and news.
4. Great work was done on helicopter cards. Put them in order:
- brought the basic information on the helicopter to the top of the card - this is the price, number of seats, maximum speed, range, condition new / resource;
- each one was prescribed the basic parameters - according to flight data, dimensions and weight, power plant;
- added additional description;
- found and placed three photos for each helicopter.
5. Adaptive layout, as you know, is an important ranking factor, which we also took into account when creating a new helico-russia.ru. Yandex and Google say that the pages are “All right!”, I.e. They are optimized for mobile devices:
Check through the Google Search Console:
Transfer website to https
Go or not go to https? From January 2017 there is no choice when answering this question. The answer is simple - go, because Google began to mark sites without https as unsafe. Simply put, having an SSL certificate officially became a ranking factor.
Therefore, this task also faced us. We launched the transfer on December 21, as it should be:
- Check that only relative links are used on the site, not absolute
- bought and installed an SSL certificate, after which the site was available at two addresses: // helico-russia.ru/ and // helico-russia.ru/
- Yandex Webmasters have installed the main mirror Host: //helico-russia.ru/
- in the robots.txt files of both sites have written a Host directive with the https protocol
- updated XML card: replaced in http links with https
After that, they began to wait - when will the main mirror change in Yandex? Six days passed, and a similar notification appeared in the Yandex webmaster panel about the impossibility of transferring the site to
Just in case, we wrote to Yandex technical support and received the following response:
To wait is to wait. We continued to monitor and on December 30 we noticed that the site’s TIC was dropped to 0. The very same splicing occurred only on January 5, which was confirmed by data from Yandex Webmaster:
At the end of the process, we set up a page-by-page 301 redirect from http pages to https and registered a new version of the site at http://helico-russia.ru/ in Google webmaster.
The entire process of moving to HTTPS took us 15 days.
What else did we do? I will answer in a simple way - they played content. They created what they would read, watch, share and like. Why to play? Because when managing a project you need a lot of content and whoever drives a project is obliged to put the process of its creation on iron rails - you have to monitor the quality of articles, deadlines for drawing infographics, the correct layout of e-mail mailing and its timely sending.
Brainstorming> content plan> writing> editing> editing> proofreading> revising the material> editing again> editing again> publishing
According to this scheme, the work in our agency on all projects has been adjusted.
Content: blog materials, posts, e-mail
We continued to create 8 materials for the Blog, 8 posts for social networks and 2 e-mails.
In October, we created and published the following materials in the blog:
1. Patrol of oil pipelines by helicopter: "When you fly through the passes - such beauty is around!"
2. The path to leadership in the global helicopter industry: the history of Airbus Helicopters
3. Helicopters of the hybrid scheme - fast flights throughout Russia
4. The Arctic, icebreakers, helicopters: "far-seeing assistants" yesterday and today
5. Helicopter flights in the mountains: features and limitations
6. What are the dangerous birds for helicopters
7. From serial cargo-passenger types to special air cranes: helicopters in construction
8. Flight, technical and operational characteristics of Robinson helicopters
Wrote, compiled and sent two mailings:
Light customs duties on light helicopters abolished until the end of 2017
Counterfeit spare parts in aviation: risks and consequences
In November, in addition to the articles, they created an infographic and presentation:
1. What is the price of a Robinson helicopter? Why is the factory cost noticeably different from the final one?
2. Obtaining airworthiness certificate (Presentation)
3. Top managers of the world's largest helicopter manufacturing plants
4. Autopilot for Robinson: Pros and Cons
5. Customs no longer takes good: abolishing duty on light helicopters
6. Robinson Raven II: Specifications and Area of Use (Infographics)
7. Robinson Success Story
8. Helicopter insurance: what you need to know?
Sent two mailings:
Diagnostics of helicopter units using the example of Robinson R44
Difficult weather and flight safety
In December, the following materials appeared in the Blog:
1. Pros and cons of buying a resource (used) helicopter Robinson
2. Helicopter Airbus Helicopters H125 / Eurocopter AS350: history, features, applications and modifications
3. Bell 407 helicopter: lightweight, versatile, reliable
4. Proxy helicopter
5. Completing Robinson for yourself (Infographics)
6. Medical evacuation by helicopter in the West and in Russia
7. Robinson R44 or R66: which one to choose?
8. 16 key questions from helicopter buyers
And again two mailings:
Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!
By helicopter abroad
In January, a video production department appeared in our agency. We finally came to the conclusion that we can create videos and video infos for our clients. Therefore, in addition to these articles and infographics:
1. How many ceilings of a helicopter
2. Overview of the Leonardo Helicopters AW139 helicopter
For a short working January, we managed to create the first animated infographic:
Promotion of content on Facebook and Vkontakte
Facebook and its targeted advertising continued to be the main paid channel for content distribution. During the reporting period, we
- promoted 29 units of content - these are articles, news, infographics, presentations
- spent on it 21.486 rubles., with an average cost per click of 1.71 rubles:
In October 2016, a significant event took place at the helicopter market - import duties on light helicopters were abolished. For those who want to buy a helicopter, this meant that prices for rotary-wing machines had dropped significantly. It was necessary to draw attention to this event.
To do this, we posted this news on the site, announced it with a sticker on the Main page:
We launched a targeted Facebook ad on the news:
We made 4 guest posts in Vkontakte in groups that we have already tested with a target audience:
- Airplanes and aviation of Russia - the cost of posting 150 rubles.
- Aviation - 400 rubles
- I-pilot - 400 rubles
- To help pilots - 300 rubles
- phone calls from users who came from search, distribution, social networks
- application forms on the site
- applications through an online consultant
- 87.56% of leads were searchable
- 10.45% of social networks
- 1.99% from e-mail newsletters
- "Send request" in the helicopter card
- "Order a call" in the header of the site
- Subscribe to the newsletter "on the subscription page
The same news was the reason for us to write an article. Customs no longer takes good: the abolition of duty on light helicopters, explaining why now is the most favorable time to buy Robinson. After posting a blog article, we also promoted it on Facebook.
To summarize, the advertising campaign news about the abolition of the fee cost us 2,100 rubles. We received 985 transitions - 938 from Facebook and 47 from Vkontakte - at an average cost per click of 2.13 rubles.
During the reporting period, we used two channels to advertise the brand of Helico Group - this is the same target on Facebook plus remarketing RK in GoogleAdWords. I wrote about the settings of these campaigns in the previous case, I will not repeat it, but I will provide data on expenses:
We pledged 1,500 rubles per month to the advertising post for Facebook with a carousel:
What got in the end:
In the re-marketing campaign on GoogleAdWords for October-January, we got the following results:
The table shows that the most transitions were from the banner about Resource helicopters:
Total results of the campaign in GoogleAdWords for the reporting period: consumption - 2,352 rubles., Clicks - 365, the average price per click - 6.44 rubles.
I can imagine how wild it is to read these tsiferki from the side about the expense and the average price of a click of a third-party project. But you know, when you lead several advertising campaigns in different channels, these digits are recorded somewhere on the subcortex and still matter. Two important points that they signal:
1. You do it right, or you do something wrong
2. This channel is suitable, or not suitable - because it is inefficient, unprofitable. Simply put, unbearably expensive.
Well, for example, as in our case with Heliko. Once we had targeted RK at Vkontakte and received cost overruns with a click price of 43 rubles. This is expensive relative to other channels in which we also advertised.
Did we do something wrong? Or is targeting in vk itself more expensive than other channels? The audit showed that we did not configure Central Asia more carefully. And after the correct setting reduced the price to 5 rubles. Those. the channel is fine.
The second example with retargeting (remarketing). Our samples in Yandex Direct gave us 15.80 rubles per click, while GoogleAdWords showed an average of 7 rubles. After analyzing both RoK, we gave up RoK in Yandex.Direct, because in reality it cost us twice as much, simply because it is Yandex Direction.
TOTAL. What are we all about?
And now, take popcorn, pour Coca-Cola, we will summarize our long experiment.
How many pieces of content were created by us?
Blog - 65 items
In the social network - about 80 posts
For external publications - 11 items
E-mail newsletter - 17 letters
What content formats did we use?
Articles, infographics, presentation, video infographics, posts
What channels did we use?
2. Social networks - fb, vk, instagram, ok
4. Targeted advertising in Vkontakte, Facebook, MyTarget
5. Guest posting in Vkontakte
6. Guest posting on Facebook
7. Advertising on search and YAN in Yandex.Direct
8. Advertising on search and CCM in GoogleAdwords
9. Third-party sites
How many direct costs by channel?
What are the traffic results?
From search engines:
Traffic from Yandex and Google separately:
Traffic from social networks:
From e-mail newsletters:
What is the visibility of target queries?
Positions? Yes, we monitored the visibility dynamics for a number of commercial requests through the TopInspector paid service:
The screenshot shows only a part of the requests that were monitored. Below is a complete picture of the dynamics of all tracked queries in Yandex. So it was at the start, in March 2016:
So it became after the completion of work in late January 2017:
What about the lead?
By lead, we mean those leads that we tracked. It:
The total number of leads we fixed was 502. Of these, 156 are of high quality:
23 applications for the helicopter, the remaining 133 - mainly applications for additional equipment, as well as training and maintenance of the helicopter.
Which channel is more effective?
The Comagic service, with the help of which we tracked calls from three channels - search, social networks and mailings, shows the following statistics for the entire period of work - from February 2016 to January 2017:
But, firstly, these are statistics only on calls, and secondly, not on all channels.
For completeness, let's take a look at GoogleAnalytics statistics, where, in a special report "Traffic Channel Leads", we tracked goals such as:
A total of 250 such goals were achieved:
We look at the channels:
As can be seen from the report, most of the leads were obtained from Yandex search, direct visits, Google search, GoogleAdWords ads and Mail.ru search.
And anyway, these reports do not answer the question - which channel worked more efficiently, since all of them show statistics on the last click, i.e. The specified channel was the last in the interaction chain. However, judging by this criterion of effectiveness is incorrect.
In fact, it is impossible to answer the question unequivocally: every channel we use has somehow influenced the receipt of leads. And this is the principle of multi-channel promotion. Therefore, it is more correct to pose the question - in what proportion of one or another source influenced the receipt of leads?
This picture shows a multichannel report in Google Analytics:
As you can see, the most significant weight of direct traffic and organic matter, while e-mail distribution played a minimal role in the chain of all conversions, but, nevertheless, it had an impact.
What is the conclusion?
Gaining traffic and leads is becoming more difficult and at longer distances. More difficult in terms of resources - time, finances, physical and mental investments, patience. Yes, this is a marathon, and in order not to go the distance we need not only opportunities, but also skills, so quick self-study plays an important role. 10 specialists were involved in our project - an account manager, a project manager, a text writer, an editor, a proofreader, a designer, an smm manager, a UX expert, a typesetter, a programmer.
The participation of all allowed us to provide the main thing - an integrated approach and multi-channel. If the work on the site is not only a seo and a wide directory, it is still user-friendly, if the creation of content is not only text, but also a video, if the choice of a channel is not only Facebook, but also e-mailing, targeted advertising and remarketing.
Time to be fast, flexible and resilient.
We can not share with you the schedule of growth of search traffic on this project after the work is finished :) Before you - proof that the results of comprehensive promotion are capitalized, and you should not expect instant growth. But with a competent integrated approach, these results will necessarily be in the long term.
P. S. After we left the public project, there was practically no work on the site.