Like any normal text of a recommendatory character, this guide is "written by the blood" of its author - he worked as a copywriter, a journalist, and an editor; in the latter case, one had to often and often edit bad texts and bring up good authors from their creators.
Hyde is useful to someone who:
- needs serious TK for a large project;
- focuses on long-term cooperation with one author and intends to grow it to a specialist in his project;
- works with a large number of different authors and projects, and for each you need your own TK.
By default, I will refer directly to the person who promotes his business; if you are an intermediary (editor, marketer), then for some points you will have to try the owner of the resource for which we are writing.
For sweet, at the end of the article you will find a sample of technical specifications.
- Indicate to the author the purpose of his work.
- Tell about the target audience
- Teach the author to work competently with key queries.
- Teach proper spelling of meta tags
- Introduce the author to the basics of optimization
- Do not forget about the structure of the text
- Determine character restrictions
- Take care of the "right" illustrations
- Illustration content
- Have pity on the editor
- Remind about uniqueness checking
- Give the author a list of useful services.
- Text content
- When the technical task is not needed
Introduce the author to your business.
It seems to be obvious, but many people forget about it.
Last weeks / months / years the copywriter studied journalism, info style, spelling - anything but your business (unless, of course, you are not the owner of his favorite brand Apple). Discard the author, who takes on the work, not knowing anything about your company.
Do not get rid of the author with a reference to the poorly written section "About Us": most likely, the same person will have to rewrite him later. It is better to self-sketch everything that you would like to highlight, and additionally select the most suitable employee from the company for the role of an expert - let him tell the author about everything that you are different from competitors, answer the copywriter's questions and read the texts to the editor along with the editor.
- And what, advertisers like?
- Advertisers have such that they need to explain what they like and what does not.
Victor Pelevin, "Generation P".
If you do not want to be the subject of a dialogue between Tatarsky and Khanin, you will have to explain to the copywriter what you need, otherwise he will do it himself and give you his understanding. He is really an expert and knows how to burn a verb.
Indicate to the author the purpose of his work.
Yes, sales are always the ultimate goal, whatever we are doing at the moment. But the copywriter needs to be aware of the short-term goals of the project - for example, in the coming months we are only working on the image of an expert in the market, and there should be no “slipping” of the goods in the texts.
Text content can be:
- selling etc.
Be sure to indicate which message should carry the content. Now copywriters are gradually moving away from the marketplace “Buy!”, But to make sure that you understand each other in this regard, you still need it.
Tell about the target audience
If the project is large and long, and the author will work on it comprehensively (blog, sections, social networks), it is worth giving him full decrypted data from the Yandex.Metrica / Google Analytics service and group statistics in social networks. The target audience may be the same by gender / religion / interest, but different in age at different sites. Dialogue with readers will need to be in their language - from professional terminology to forum slang.
The more accurate the hit in Central Asia, the more likes, rassharivany, brand awareness and ultimately - sales.
Teach the author to work competently with key queries.
This is one of the most slippery topics in copywriting work - mainly because the generation of authors who have worked with black SEO has not yet died out. A real example: one of my age wards invented the formula, "the price for which is low," which allowed (in his opinion) to enter the key with the word "price". All 50 sections, like twins, came from him with phrases like "threaded rod, price which is low "and"channel, price which is low ", and everyone returned from me for revision.
Briefly about how the author correctly enter the key:
- read the phrase after writing - if the key "sounds" perceptible to the ear (and a badly inscribed key "sounds" always and cuts the editorial rumor), it needs to be rewritten;
- if the key cannot be organically entered (and even more so - if by mistake the one who selected the semantics does not fit the topic at all), you do not need to enter it;
- if the key can be entered so that between words there were no punctuation marksso worth doing.
Another problem copywriters - in their inability and unwillingness to solve something on their own; this mainly refers to the second item in the list in this chapter. Not every person believes that he influences anything at all. Explain to the author: he must approach in terms of adequacy and always inform the editor that something is wrong with the semantic core. From this format, all will benefit.
Teach proper spelling of meta tags
Sometimes it's easier to enter meta tags yourself - there is no need for special beauty of style, and the correct use of key queries comes out on top. But we are now talking about the integrated work of the author on the project, therefore, he will also prescribe meta tags for us as well.
The minimum that should be indicated in such a complex technical task:
- headers of levels H1 - H6
Point out that H1 should be as readable and catchy as the content of the page is as relevant as possible. It's easier to create a title after all the text is written. To weave the technical and "human" parts of the headline, you can frankly divide it into two parts - for example, "How to stack lags: my own mistakes and discoveries" (by the way, use this technique yourself when you form work topics for TK). The first part is responsible for the keyword, the second - "hooks" the reader with the promise of the author's personal experience; however, it will have to answer to the fullest extent and to highlight all that promised. It is believed that the optimal length of the heading is six words, as we glimpse the first three and last three; for the section or post in the social network it will be just right. For H1, an exception can be made if we visually divide it into 2 parts; the headings of the H2-H6 levels can also not be customized strictly to this rule - if the reader gets to them, we no longer need to attract his attention with special techniques.
- title and description to text
For an explanation of what it is and how to prescribe it (if he is not familiar with the concept yet), show the author screenshots of successful snippets. From them it should be clear that the title briefly speaks about the content of the page and is an abbreviated copy of H1 (and the “human” part must be truncated), and the description gives a short description of the page. In both of these meta tags - increased content of keys; this is normal, but the tags should not turn into their incoherent set anyway. If the description is registered unsuccessfully, in the snippet, when searching, a piece that is as relevant as possible to the query will be pulled in - but it will most likely look like two or three broken phrases. Mark the maximum length of both tags: usually it is not more than 65 characters for the title and not more than 220 for the description.
- title and alt to photo
Here you need to find out from your maker-up or programmer specifically, which of the tags will play the role of a visible signature, and which one will be used for search robots. When configured on the same WordPress, assignment of tags is sometimes not standardized. Explain in the technical specifications what the two signatures should be: visible - interesting for the reader, technical - the most relevant to what is shown in the photo. Here the length of the tags is determined only by their content.
Introduce the author to the basics of optimization
This section is for those who have been raising the author for many months and years, and are ready to invest time in his education. In fact, this is a great option that pays off many times: now you will teach him to write texts that do not fall under the filters, and tomorrow you will not have to remove the site from under this very filter.
The skill of the correct internal relink
- Explain that the anchor should, if possible, be the key phrase and lead to the relevant page, while transmitting the maximum possible reference weight.
- Tell us what to give a link to a new page that needs to be indexed faster - this is a good idea.
- Note that the recipient page (the one to which the link leads) should already contain several other links or at least bread crumbs - otherwise there is a risk that after reading it, the visitor will simply leave the page.
Filter Bypass Skill
Those that exist separately or are already included in the work of search engine algorithms. In mid-2017, the most pressing problem for copywriting work is the Baden-Baden filter, which hacks at the root texts for robots, not for humans (for example, those already mentioned "studs threaded, price which are low ").
The skill of self-selection of keys by Yandex.Wordstat
From experience, I can say that the authors in the overwhelming majority of cases do not refuse to learn this skill. Why is this needed if there are already keys in the technical assignment? If a semantic core is chosen and cleaned by a person who doesn’t “fumble” so deeply in the topic, as the company’s marketer or the copywriter himself, he will miss some of the keys: no matter how smart the Key Collector is, the human component is still needed. Therefore, sometimes in the course of writing the text, you have to add important key concepts (sometimes from a spoken language, for example, from forum vocabulary), and for better indexing, search by WordStat for the most high-frequency variant of them.
It may seem that these are a few bits, which will give some crumbs on the positions in the index. But, if the author will use these skills year after year, the content will be significantly better than that of competitors - even if their copywriter has a better syllable than ours.
Of course, you can take ready-made text and give it to an expert for optimization, but that will most likely spoil its appearance a little to please the technical component; it is better if the author himself will weave this component harmoniously into the text.
These recommendations can not be allocated in a separate chapter, but simply to make notes in the course of writing TK.
Do not forget about the structure of the text
An article written by a single “sheet” will be read only by a person very interested specifically in this information - and then provided that there is no more similar material on the Internet. We are fighting for the reader's attention and the depth of viewing the page, so we will make an article with a good, that is, logical structure.
For example, in the section “Our services” three chapters out of four cannot be called “Dental prosthetics”, “Teeth whitening” and “Filling of teeth”, and among them there is “Hardware cosmetology”. It is necessary to create two sections of the H2 level ("Dentistry" and "Apparatus cosmetology"), and at the H3 level to list everything that is logically subordinate to them.
If you wish, the author can offer ready structure or agree on agreement before he begins a detailed study of the text.
Determine character restrictions
The ideal option is you are working with a long-known author who is guaranteed to write about all the facts on the subject and at the same time does not “pour water”; with him the question of borders on the symbols disappears, we just write as much as interesting material is typed. But this luxury is not available to everyone, so you have to set an upper limit. We are guided by several rules.
- If the author works to pay for the certificate, warn that characters will be counted after editing and remove the "water". So you immediately dramatically reduce the amount of nonsense in the source ("this editor is likely to remove, so do not waste time"), but in search of really interesting information, the author will dig the earth ("this is definitely valuable, so I will pay for it") .
- On some topics, you can write not the fact that Longrid, but a whole book, moreover it consists of interesting facts. Everything is simple: designate the optimal volume of the article, and indicate if the topic will take 2, 3, 5, 10 of such volumes, the author must coordinate with the editor breaking the material down or narrowing the topic. The optimal volume is usually 3-10k characters, but if you already have a website, you can define it more precisely by looking at the WebVizor and scrolling map in Yandex.Metrica. If only materials that are no longer than a couple of three first screens are read to the end, what is the point of writing more?
- Separately, on the limitations of characters for texts in sections. Before you start writing TK to fill them out, think about - perhaps the text is not needed at all. Usually it is created for the sake of working out key requests, but in most sections it will be worked out anyway: firstly, in meta tags, secondly, in the name of the product, especially if these are product cards. The search engine will most likely even rate the page where the “buy” and “delivery” are in the title and description, and the name of the product / service and the “price” - under the product photo. Why duplicate them in stupid phrases "buy channel online on low price can in our the store"For this, you can get under the filter. Of course, the text is needed in the sections on your payment and delivery terms, but it will turn out to be no more than there is information on the fact.
- The optimal volume for posts on the social network can be determined by the most shared posts among you or competitors (note that sometimes it is in the posting time or the virality of the content itself). Anyway, this it’s not true that the news feed does not read posts longer than a couple of lines: lifehacks, lists, checklists, and just really good materials can be infinitely long, and they will still be read, liked and shared.
Take care of the "right" illustrations
What should be “slaughtered” right away are the stock photos. There is not a single case where they would look good in the text (unless you want to put an aversion to your blog in the reader's heart), especially in the so-called selling text. By stock photos, I mean, of course, not all of the illustrations found on photocurrent services, but:
- handshakes (with what purpose is such a mad number of similar pictures made? ...);
- clearly staged photos (vigorous and already nailed-up young lady, but supposedly just having woken up; parents quarreling in the background and covering the ears of a child at the front; similar);
- white faceless men holding icons and inscriptions in WordArt style;
- coarsely drawn schemes with English terms like "S.M.A.R.T.", which the author himself cannot always translate, etc.
In this article, one could place a stock photo of a beautiful woman in fashionable glasses who misses a laptop, looking at the ceiling, propping her cheek with her hand and languidly pouting her lips (and under the photo is a copywriter "wisdom"). Such illustrations are usually cast in dull materials on professional burnout, lack of ideas and a creative crisis for copywriters.
Excellent illustrations in the material are:
- real photos your goods - and not from the catalog, but already “in action” (yes, you will have to make them and attach them to the TZ);
- photos taken by the author (yes, they will have to pay extra);
- drawings made by your designer (the author should describe in detail what should be on them and / or attach examples);
- or at least not the most hackneyed photo on the topic - for example, found in the foreign language Internet, on the websites of manufacturers (and not on the search engine keyword), and just original in their ideas. Indeed, in the article about protective coatings for wood, you can place not a photo of a jar with varnish, but the Kizhi complex that has darkened from time to time - with a signature about protecting wood from aging, of course.
Be sure to specify the minimum photo resolution. To find out what is suitable specifically for you, talk to the coder and find out the width of the content column - this will be the minimum for the width of the illustration.
- Ask the author to attach the photo separately - text editors "eat" the quality.
- If the site is supposed to have a version for retina screens, the images should be twice as wide. In this case, the author will have to be more difficult, but - setting the search for pictures and extraordinary thinking to help him.
- Indicate that there should be no extraneous watermarks in the photo.
- Explain that each photo, except for the cover and picture of the announcement for the article, should have two signatures, and of a different nature (see the chapter on meta tags in this article).
Have pity on the editor
Now we will show a little humanity to the editor and ask the author to observe the design of the text. Maybe even not so much due to the fact that the verifier does not break his eyes in an infinite variety of fonts, colors and markers, but in order that he correctly interprets the author's intention.
- Indicate that highlight headings and subheadings need not convenient to the author in huge letters and bold fonts, but using custom styles. Because to guess which pin he “invented” for H2, and which for H3, I personally never had the desire: there is a special tool for this. Кстати, это и верстальщику большая помощь - "Реформатор" автоматически проставит верные теги к заголовкам, созданным с помощью стилей.
- В подписях к фото попросите помечать, где title, а где - alt: first, so they will not merge with the mass of the text; secondly, it will be clear to the editor, based on what considerations to edit each of the tags.
- Prohibit the use of different colors for the text that you intend to typeset; accustom the author to the fact that color marks are made for the editor and / or layout designer.
- Forbid writing kapslokom and restrict writing to bold and italic fonts - let the author understand that these formats are intended for special cases: where you really need to draw the reader’s attention to the thought highlighted in the text.
Remind about uniqueness checking
Sometimes even a text honestly written “from oneself,” without constantly scrolling through the literature and looking at expert websites, turns out to be non-unique — due to the use of clichés adopted in this area, hackneyed wording, etc. Therefore, it is useful for the author to check himself and check with the minimum uniqueness that you specify.
A few years ago, we used the uniqueness verification services to identify unscrupulous authors. Now they have become something of a means of self-testing, and they should not be neglected.
Literally in my eyes, not very experienced, but an honest author, whom I believe, as myself, wrote an article with a unique 48%, without tearing out pieces from other people's texts. When checking a small text was stuffed, firstly, the full names of the goods (manufacturer / product / color / article), which has already reduced the uniqueness, and secondly, the speech cliches like "we advise you to entrust this difficult work to professionals." The author removed the cliches I chose, and simply gave links to the corresponding cards. But he could send the text to the customer - the text was honestly written by him.
Give the author a list of useful services.
In my technical specifications, such a list has always been, and this greatly improved the result of the copywriter’s work.
- Specify links to resources with good photos (what is "good", we understand the relevant chapter).
- Do not neglect stylistics and literacy - for example, by checking in the Glavred and Orthogram services.
- Give links to uniqueness checking services: Advego, text.ru, eTxt (for self-test, as indicated in chapter above).
Perhaps the author will want to learn how to use other services (or programs). Sometimes this is really convenient: for example, instead of writing long, indistinct explanations to the text of a landing page or infographic for the layout designer and designer, it will be easier for the author to sketch a prototype in the same Axure, and to draw a diagram in Canva or Piktochart.
Now, actually, for the sake of what we are writing a technical project - the very content of the text. List the topics in your content plan are few; You have long been "spinning" in your business, and you have all the information the author needs.
- Tick what you should definitely tell (including about some negative points that are dishonestly silent about), what does not need to talk (unreliable information, competitors' anti-advertising, etc.).
- Give a few links to resourceswho consider to be trust.
- Specify the names of authoritative authors and their workwhich can be useful when creating content.
- Attach technical documentation on products, if any.
- Tell that about common mistakes in your subject. They can be found on the resources of competitors or even in the works of your previous authors.
When the technical task is not needed
If at this stage all you need is to fill in several functional sections ("Delivery and Payment", "Promotions", "Partnership" and so on), you should not spend so much energy on writing technical specifications. It is easier and more efficient to write them yourself and give them to editors / proofreaders for editing. The sloppy written text from the one who knows the business "from and to" is many times better than the licked section about the "young, but dynamically developing company."
The “working” technical assignment will be like this - download - at least, it was thanks to similar ones that really good materials came to me at one time; I rely on the same logic of the work, being the author.
There is something to supplement the article? Let's share the experience in the comments: sharing policy is power! :)