The share of the mobile market is growing, and search engines consider owners of smartphones and tablet PCs the most important and most promising segment of users. We mentioned this in an article about optimizing resources for mobile traffic. The growing popularity of compact devices makes brands adapt their marketing campaigns to interact with mobile users. However, they often cannot immediately choose the best way to interact with owners of tablets and smartphones. They study the advantages and disadvantages of a mobile version of a site / site with responsive layout and a mobile application. Let's look for an answer to the question in the subtitle.
Mobile site or mobile app: which is better?
Which method is more promising - creating a mobile version of a site / site with an adaptive layout or developing a mobile application? By and large, this question should be addressed to your audience. If potential customers and existing customers of your project prefer to interact with it through the site, help them do it. And if they are ready to install and use the application, invest in its development. In addition, the mobile site and the application do not exclude each other.
In any case, do not look for an unequivocal answer to the question “what is better?”. Apps for smartphones and tablets are essentially one of the ways to access your website. The mobile version of the resource performs a similar function. Therefore, they resemble each other.
However, mobile applications have several advantages, the main of which include the following:
- Applications support features that are critical to mobile gadget owners. For example, they allow you to enter data using swype technology.
- Applications save traffic, which is extremely important because of the high cost of mobile Internet.
The marketing company Nielsen found in a study conducted in June 2013 that mobile gadget owners are more likely to use mobile apps compared to mobile versions of sites.
Based on the data obtained by Nielsen, investments in the development of mobile applications look more promising compared to the rate exclusively on the mobile version of the site. Below you will find recommendations that will help you effectively use applications to promote projects.You can successfully promote your project using a mobile application. But for this you must first promote the application itself. Contact our agency if you want to entrust this work to professionals.
Step-by-step guide to promoting projects using applications
Mobile applications can be the core of a marketing strategy aimed at involving owners of smartphones and tablets in interaction with your business. The following step-by-step guide will help you use applications in practice.
Step 1: Create a user-friendly mobile application.
Do not try by all means to shove all the content from the website into a mobile application. It will not become more useful for users due to such a step. To develop a truly valuable application, follow these guidelines:
- When planning the functionality of the application, think about users solving any problems on the go — away from the office or at home. Determine the minimum amount of information that owners of smartphones and tablets need to use the program. The application should by default only give access to this minimum of data. Most users will want to get more information when they return home or to the office where Wi-Fi networks are available. Therefore, the application must provide additional data on request.
- Pay attention to the timeliness and relevance of the application and the information available with it. Remember, you do not satisfy all the needs of all customers with a single program for a tablet or smartphone. So focus on the main functionality of the application.
- Let users buy your product and contact you using the app. Specify your contact information and a link to the full version of the site.
Mobile application should solve the main problems of clients. At the same time, the program should not be overloaded with information and functions and “eat up” a lot of traffic.
Step 2: Distribute the app to users.
The mobile application market is developing rapidly, making users have a huge selection. Business needs to convince customers to download and install the program, without being distracted by the new version of the popular game or competitors' offers. The following tips will help you attract the attention of consumers:
- Use existing platforms to distribute mobile apps, such as Google Play and the App Store. This will help your customers find the application themselves.
- Announce the release of the application on a corporate website or blog. Publish the link and / or QR code to download the program.
- Mention the application in the Email-newsletter, newsletters, printing materials.
- Regularly remind users of social networks about the existence of a mobile application. Play prizes among customers who installed the program. Think of other reasons for downloading and installing your application.
- Let users share their opinion on your mobile program. Use the social networking sharing buttons for this.
- Advertise mobile app with PPC campaigns in search engines and social networks.
- Publish notes about the mobile program on third-party resources. In exchange, invite the owners of friendly sites to publish important information for them on your site.
Remember, the more users download and install the application, the more effective your marketing campaign will be. Therefore, constantly remind customers of the existence of a special solution for smartphones and tablets.
Step 3: encourage customers to use the app regularly
Of course, you understand that the downloaded and installed application does not benefit your business if the consumer launches it once a year. Therefore, encourage customers to constantly and frequently use the mobile program. The following tips will help you do this:
- Constantly update the application, improving its functionality. Think about the opportunities that will be available only to owners of mobile gadgets. Also provide customers with any data that requires regular updates. For example, tell them daily about sales and promotions.
- Provide special terms of service for mobile gadget owners. For example, provide a discount when ordering a product through a program for a smartphone or tablet. However, make sure that this method does not become a banal dumping.
- Play a mobile app. The user will run the program more often if you offer him a fun approach to solving everyday tasks. A good example is the animated piggy bank, happily grunting when depositing funds.
The battle for mobile traffic is just beginning. Mobile applications that give customers the opportunity to interact with your business on the go, will help you achieve success in the era of smartphones, tablets and smart watches, glasses and other gadgets. Constantly update the mobile program, remind users of its existence and encourage them to run the application again and again.
And what business applications for smartphones and tablets do you use? Tell us about it in the comments.
Adapt material 3 Steps to Creating an Effective Mobile App.