Your unique marketing brain is not needed by anyone, and that's fine. Two statistical figures and one disappointing conclusion.
Each advanced job seeker knows that all the difficulties in finding a job are caused solely by the settings of "objective reality" in his head. We will not dispute this immutable fact. But some elements of the matrix are strong and implacable - I’m talking about labor market statistics. Without further ado, let's open HH.ru and type in the search query “marketer”. Thus, in St. Petersburg - 28,025 applicants with 37199 resumes. Look at the number of vacancies for the same request - 486. Oh, shi ...
It is clear that in the total of 37,199 resumes there are those who will never intersect with you due to their specialization, cost, and experience. There are those who entitled the summary "Marketer, sales manager, office driver, locksmith MCP." Finally, there are just lovers of going to interviews and having long conversations with Eychara, and then reject offers. But even without these categories, the picture looks daunting.If you are a marketer, and you need a job, get ready to withstand the fierce, fierce competition!
So, you sit in front of the open Headhunter and gradually fill with confidence that no one needs your megamozg for nothing. You think that your salary request is too high, the experience is too meager, and in general - maybe it's better to re-train the house manager. This confidence is especially strong after 3-4 days of searching. You sent a bunch of resumes, and - no, you did not get a rejection. The employer stupidly did not look at them, and, it seems, is not going to look.
But the fact of the matter is that everything is not so bad. There is good news too! First: 90% of your competitors obviously lose to you, because their level of education, experience, social intelligence and general mental development leaves much to be desired. Today, it is in the marketing sector that the quality of candidates is the most heterogeneous and unpredictable. (Of course, here we proceed from the assumption that you are just an adequate pro with a little bit more logical experience!). The second news follows from the first: do not even doubt that each of 28,025 applicants responded to each of the 486 vacancies. So, 486 Eycharov now tirelessly scroll through endless pages with a summary. And if you do not browse - just physically "hands did not reach."
Well, what good is there - you ask? And the fact that HR, knowing about the low percentage of adequate marketing candidates, will systematically and purposefully rake this pile until it finds a diamond in the form of your resume. Sooner or later will open everything CV. And that means, with proper execution of all life hacking, you simply cannot be overlooked.See also: What do executives really care about who you, as a marketer, want to reach
- 3 questions that you must have a clear answer before starting the search
- Have to move! How to choose the appropriate promotion channels
- Correctly set up "Headhunter.Ru" How not to miss a worthwhile offer, and most importantly - how to correctly respond to it
- We brush a social network. Set up instant messengers. (This is useful even if you are not a marketer)
- What and how not to do at the interview?
- We secure the success of the offensive. How to stand out from fellow competitors and get an offer
- What needs to be done so that you no longer need these tips?
And how did it happen that you need a job? Choosing a legend for the employer, given the level of their own professional toughness
HR's favorite (and completely justified) question is “Why did you decide to leave your previous job?”. Often this question (or rather, a series of questions - usually several jobs) is key to the whole interview. Comparing your response with your first impression, HR classifies you as purposeful, or conflicting, or pragmatic, or disorderly - in general, it somehow mentally marks you. So it will be easier for him to communicate with you in the future, and it will be easier for him to decide whether the next stage is necessary. And indeed: the motive of a job change serves as a clear marker of the deep attitudes of a person.Of course, it is important to know the answer to any candidates, but to marketers in particular! Because it is around this position that the most stereotypes exist.
You may be considered, for example:
- a flighty person with inadequately high self-esteem;
- ballast, which could not prove its usefulness for the business;
- a politician who is busy only with what proves his utility to business;
- again, useless appendage, duplicating the functions of the sales department PR.
And so on, you can continue for a long time.
Therefore, to begin with, answer (honestly) to yourself - and why did you really leave the previous place of work? Have you answered? And now let's beautifully pack your answer and make it convincing.
Horizontally: your professional rank. Vertical: the real reason for leaving (I listed the most typical ones). In the table: what to say HR. (Unless, of course, it is more or less close to the truth!)
A recent university graduate, left the first or second job
Pros with experience of 4-6 years
Ace marketing with tons of unique case studies and recommendations
It became boring to work
At the last place it was not possible to fully learn modern technologies and follow new trends. I want to work in a company that applies best practices, and I need a clear career and professional growth perspective!
At the moment, it is more interesting for me to work in your industry / with the specifics / target of your company. The branch of the previous company / specificity / Central Bank of the previous company is an interesting, but already passed stage. I have gained enough experience and I hope to use it for the benefit of your company.
I am looking for a company in which I myself can create trends. In the past place, I still often had to act on the rolled-up schemes, and this prevented professional self-realization.
Conflict with the boss or colleagues
The organizational culture of the previous company was not so close to me. In a situation of constant turbulence in the team, it was difficult to focus on our own development.
My vision of processes and approaches to tasks has become too different from the generally accepted one. I realized that it was necessary to look for a new place of work so that neither me nor my previous company would interfere with each other’s development.
Cataclysm in the company (reorganization, liquidation, etc.)
We say everything as it is - as a rule, the reasons are objective and valid. If there has been a reduction, be prepared to answer the question "Why did they cut you down, why were you not offered a different position in the company?" There is no universal answer here, be guided by circumstances.
And, of course, you could leave because of low wages. In the process of work, your experience and value for the company could increase, but it could not find a material reflection. And you decided to look for a new job, because consider that income should objectively reflect your potential usefulness to your employer ...I repeat - the above matrix is quite versatile. You can operate with minimal corrections, even if you are not a marketer. But it is for a marketer that it is extremely important to clearly justify their presence in the labor market, since this market is too saturated with fellow shop workers.
By the way, the HR vigilance with streamlined formulations will still not put you to sleep :) One way or another, the true motives will be approximately understood by him. But then you will look comme il faut and create yourself a reputation as a person who knows what he wants.See also: Why do marketers spoil everything, or Greed and laziness are the engines of progress
3 questions that you must have a clear answer before starting the search
So, with the reasons for leaving decided. Now let's take the initial steps for your market positioning. Clearly and deliberately answer the questions:
- I am a marketing analyst, a brand marketer, an SMM vendor, something else? Trade or the Internet? In which of these areas will I be developing now? It is necessary to understand that, although “universal soldiers” exist - first of all, in small companies - their functionality still to one or the other pole. You are a full-fledged station wagon only if you are the head of the function. True, in this case, you are cut off from the "work with your hands."
- I am a marketer in which industry? In any you should definitely specialize. (It's like with journalists, for example, there are no “journalists in general”, there are those who are focused on politics, sports, economics ...). Everything is relatively good, if your sphere is an IT, you are engaged in SEO or SMM. These areas account for the lion's share of demand. If you decide to focus on the banking sector, civil service, mining industry - it will be more difficult, there the need for marketers tends to zero.
- Why do I need a business? (Only do without lengthy reasoning here. Formulate the answer broadly, but very clearly. For example: “I need to help in making decisions on the sales function” or “I need to provide a gain in Central Asia”)
By integrating these three answers, you get something like a micropresentation. For example: "I am a marketing analyst in the telecommunications industry. My business value is that I generate reliable and working sales support tools." And now, guided by this slogan, edit your resume! Do not add details - cut off the excess. Remove references to non-core functions and even entire non-core work places - unless, of course, you have spent too much time there. With your resume you have to forge a clear and complete image - in our example, an analyst from a telecom marketer who carries such a value, etc.
Avoid the temptation to spread the network wider, and in addition to the main idea of the summary, weave there a couple of minor ones. Do not think that HR will appreciate it. "Oh, yes, he is such a cool SEO, a lead generator and analyst, and he sells a little more and knows how to embroider on a typewriter!" At best, such a summary will be moved to the "Think" section. And since the influx of candidates is huge and there is no time to think especially - most likely, they will not be considered in detail.
Have to move! How to choose the appropriate promotion channels
Despite the fact that we have enough channels at our disposal, it’s not worth using anything. Your task is to choose the most relevant and effective ways to promote. The main of them, as well as 10 years ago, remain "work sites". Strange, but there is still no full-fledged alternative. When we say "work sites", we, of course, mean Headhunter.ru. Over the past years, all of its real competitors have quietly died - there is absolutely no real benefit from Job.ru or Rabota.ru. These sites can help if your career interests shift towards unskilled labor. To soothe the soul, you can duplicate a resume on Superjob.ru, but many employers have recently left this resource too.
Your second channel is FL. Freelancer. It is clear that you are looking for a permanent job, but the profile on this site will not hurt you. There are no special tricks when placing information there, everything is clear intuitively. We duplicate the basic data on the experience with Headhunter, tick the “I am looking for a permanent job”, do not forget to place the “slogan” in a prominent place - and go ahead. The maintenance of a full-fledged FL.ru account is paid, about 500 P per month.Periodically monitor placed orders, respond to them, go to meetings with customers - at a minimum, this will give you an expansion of the network of acquaintances, and at most, you can also find an interesting project (and it can turn into a permanent job!).
Of course, you can not do in our business and without social networks. (Without some - you can, I'm talking about Odnoklassniki). You shouldn’t hope for Professionals.ru and Executive.ru - there’s no harm, of course, but don’t wait for the good. I would call only one bundle of social networks really effective - LinkedIn + Facebook. The level of conversion with the proper approach here can be very good!
So: 1. In LinkedIn we find a representative of the marketing function of the company you are interested in. 2. Find him in Facebook on the full name and photo 3. Send a request for correspondence, enter into a dialogue, when we feel the right moment - send a resume.
Of course, you can do without FB - LinkedIn alone. But LinkedIn has some problems - 1) no one reads the message there 2) the site was blocked by the decision of Roskomnadzor, and now only those who are not too lazy to install Tor or FriGate go there.
In addition to the ability to directly access the decision maker, Facebook is useful for its thematic groups. First of all, these are “PR work and marketing” and “Sell your head”. Joining the group, you can post there info about selling your head. How exactly - see below.
As for "Vkontakte". A worthwhile offer through VK can be found if you:
- pretend to be a promoter in the mall
- last year student and want to somehow get closer to the work in the specialty
- marketer in a highly specialized industry. For example, you are engaged in the analysis of the fabric for spacesuits and are in the group "Space human fiber". (By virtue of your uniqueness, an interested HR will come to you by all means, including through VC).
A powerful tool that requires careful handling - Telegram. Both channels and chats are interesting in their own way. Perhaps the most interesting channel for a marketer in terms of finding a job is Digital_hr. You can also chat with @hh_robot. In chat rooms, you can unobtrusively explore the situation in a particular company, well, and get to know useful people. For intelligence purposes can be useful chat "Russian marketing." There are also quite a lot of highly specialized chat rooms for SEOs, smmschikov, etc. - their names can be easily google.
Why should the appeal be careful? Because it is not necessary in the chat from the door to declare your needs and talents. Mostly your future employers are not talking there, but your current competitors. And, most likely, they don’t crave to help you: marketers are an environment quite aggressive. Look, find out who is who. We saw a potential chef - discuss your offer with him in a separate chat.
In three words about the preparation of the resume itself. I will not list trivial advice - about brevity, specifics, a description of your achievements, etc. I will focus on specific points.
First of all: it is NOT NECESSARY (just so, a kapslok) of unrestrained creativity, even if you really want to. HR hopes and waits for your resume to be made in a standard headhunting template. The fact is that after viewing 15-20 unformatted summaries made in Power Point or in general it is not clear what, you begin to boil quietly. And hate marketers as a class. ("Where is he at about education? Yeah, I found it - in small letters and vertically. And where was the last place of work? Ok, of course, he doesn’t write anything, but he put in a picture").
Secondly: if not in the text itself, then in the section "About Me" try to add as many keywords and tags related to your intended position as possible. Very often, HR uses exactly tag search. Be as specific as possible! Not "graphic editors", but "Corel Draw", "Photoshop" (separately). Not "analytical work", but "SWOT-analysis". And, as always - such definitions as “responsibility”, “independence”, “customer focus” do not mean that you really have all this, but that you were too lazy to move your brains when writing a resume.
Thirdly: write in human language. HR wants to see in a marketer a mature, sane person who can conduct meaningful dialogue, rather than mechanically transfer functions - and this should be reflected in the summary. Feel free to the pronoun "I" and the verbs of the perfect form (made, developed, reached, integrated ...)
And finally: carefully, meticulously, methodically and paranoidly check the text of the summary for the presence of semantic, stylistic, spelling and punctuation errors. Not confident in your abilities - ask to see in whom you are sure. The common myth that exists among personnel specialists attributes the laurels of the most illiterate candidates to PR managers, marketing specialists and journalists. Therefore, if HR's eye catches on any monstrous “in general”, “good time of day” or “extreme” in the meaning of “last” - the myth will be confirmed, and you will be counted among the 90% of uninteresting candidates.
Correctly set up "Headhunter.Ru" How not to miss a worthwhile offer, and most importantly - how to correctly respond to it
Recall a few purely technical methods of working with HH.ru.
- Register a special address for authorization on HH. Best of all, if it looks like "[email protected]" or there "[email protected]". About addresses like "[email protected]", I think, it is clear. (The addresses consisting of the addressee’s phone are also dubious. [email protected] - who is this ?! What is his name ?!).
- Update your resume regularly, but not daily. Идеальное время: а) понедельник, 16.00-16.30 - рекрутеры к этому моменту разгребут резюме, которые им накидали за выходные, и информация от вас будет выглядеть свежей б) среда и четверг - 10.00 - 11.00. Более частое обновление приведет к тому, что ваше фото просто намозолит эйчару глаз.
- Увидели интересную вакансию - выждите дня полтора, потом откликайтесь. Or respond in the first 10 minutes after posting a job. Your task is to be at the very beginning or at the very end of the list of respondents. Those who are in the middle are remembered much worse.
- Of course, one resume you will not be enough. There is a useful "duplicate resume" feature in NN. Saw an interesting job - do not be lazy, duplicate the resume, which you already consider quite suitable. The name of the new CV should coincide with the name of the vacancy you have noticed. Well and, of course, "fine tuning" CV for a specific job does not harm you. Choose the visibility setting "Only visible by direct link" and respond.
- You can, of course, save power and use a heading like "marketer, analyst, SEO, SMM specialist ...", but then the blow will not be concentrated! With the right choice of heading from one position, NN will constantly slip the Eucharu your resume in the "Eligible candidates" sample.
- The level of expected salary is better to specify. This is not a moveton, as for some reason, many believe. So you will lay the foundation for future bargaining (plus to the real expectations of 15-18 percent, so that there is room for maneuver. Not more. Marketing is already a supercompetitive market). In addition, you will not get into the headhunter filter "Do not show resume without specifying salary."
- In the "Professional Area" section, select 3 suitable values (for example, "Marketing Management", "Internet Marketing", "Market Research") - do not limit yourself to one. So you can use the sample of the employer by specialization as widely as possible.
- Transmittal letter. Think about the three phrases you could reduce the essence of the summary? - that's about it and write. Do not forget about your micropresentation. What should not be: 1) The content of the letter is reduced to the phrase "I ask you to review my resume" 2) The letter begins with the words "Good day" (see above) 3) The covering letter is mandatory for the response, and you put a period or a space instead of text.
We brush a social network. Set up instant messengers. (This is useful even if you are not a marketer)
I think you yourself know it. In 100% of cases out of 100 HR will get into your accounts. After all, you will specify their addresses in the resume, in the "Contact details" section. No matter how ironic anyone is, the candidate without social network profiles looks suspicious.
Eichara will thoroughly study all your photos from the bars, against the background of the carpet, with the pyramid of Cheops in the palm of your hand. And most importantly, your connections were opened, which will allow you to determine how closely you are connected with professional circles. Therefore:
- In the VC hide any unnecessary - for example, a list of groups and audio recordings. Look critically at photo albums. Why, in principle, place them? Delete mercilessly everything except 3-4 decently profitable photos with you / your work. Contact avatar should not coincide with the photo in the resume. And turn off the comments on your wall - greeting cards, bouquets and other garbage to you to anything!
- Take care of the most complete and beautiful profile on LinkedIn. Profile fill level should be "maximum". Tyzhmarketer!
- "Classmates" ... well, I hope you have no account there;
- Fb Look in your chronicle - do you need all the publications? Doubt something - delete. Same thing with the photo. Avatar should not be too formal, as a passport photo. On the other hand, your image in swimming trunks under a palm tree will not be the optimal solution either. With your photo you must embody the idea of intelligence, positivity and openness - find something appropriate. Actively use the section "About Me". There you can safely write that you are a marketer with such a specialization and you are interested in such and such projects.
Now about messengers - I mean the most commonly used What's Up and Telegram. And there, and there set the official-decent photo. Believe me, this greatly increases the level of confidence in the candidate! In What's Up, change the status from “Available” or “Hi, I'm using what's Up” to something more useful. For example, "Experienced pro in the field of SMM, Moscow." In Telegram, you can pick up a memorable username by which you can then easily be found, for example, @marketingmoscow.
You should not take the position of the petitioner and write in your accounts: “I am looking for a job!”, “I will consider new opportunities”, etc. You will not increase the speed of job search with such statements into the void. And at the same time, the employer will give you a reason to speak with you as a deliberately weak side.Equal bargaining still takes place on work sites and then in person, and not in social networks.
What and how not to do at the interview?
So, with the help of all the above tips, you were able to sell the company a meeting with you. What you need to do to successfully complete the interview - you know, and so. Let's think what can let you down.
- You can’t speak at length about your work and, at the same time, state its essence in three phrases. From the marketer waiting for clarity and speed of thinking. And the ability to instantly move from analysis operations to synthesis operations, and even the ability to parallel them. Practice before the interview is useful;
- You didn’t give inquiries about the company in advance and you didn’t get into the dress code for the interview Not a fatal mistake, but the sediment will remain. Agree - who, as a non-marketer, should read "weak signals" from the company's brand context? (Spoiler: still owes HR, but now it's not about him).
- You do not have information about your achievements in numbers. And without it, it will be very difficult to prove that marketing in your performance is not a waste of budget, but actually a profitable function.
- You make it clear to the recruiter that you are doing him a favor by talking to him, a layman. A detailed conversation on the merits will be conducted only with a potential leader. (Alas, a common situation!) What happens in this case? You sign in a low level of social intelligence, inability to properly segment CA, position your personal brand and negotiate. It’s strange to count on the next stage, right?
We secure the success of the offensive. How to stand out from fellow competitors and get an offer
Ok, you did everything right, you went through all the stages of the interview, your needs and capabilities of the company coincided - and here you are, waiting for the final answer. How to spend this time usefully?
Firstly, you can make friends in social networks with those who have already interviewed you. The best tool is FB. He is not as intimate as Vkontakte, but not as soulless as LinkedIn. Write them something like "thank you for the interview", like and sir posts, just do not overdo it. Decision-makers should just in the background remember that you exist, and not get a grasp of your annoying panegyrics. More activity in core groups - from the side it should be noticeable that you are involved in the process. It is advisable not to repost the materials, but to leave comments on the case.
Following the results of the interviews, it makes no sense to write official letters, to squirm in front of the interviewers and to assure them of your full respect. It looks unnatural. HR will instantly have an image: you are sitting behind the yellowed translated business junk paper of the 1996 edition and frantically scrolling through the "Starting a Career of a Successful Manager" section.
Secondly, do not stop collecting information about the company (in fact, you should have started doing this immediately after the first contact with the company) - study the structure, history, personalities of the management and especially the sales unit, the closest competitors. All this is useful, especially if the company decides to conduct an additional round of interviews. If there is no additional round, you will immediately represent the real context of your activity after you return to work.
Thirdly: imbued with a deep indifference to the results of their negotiations. Everything will be, you just have to lose it. Checked works.
What needs to be done so that you no longer need these tips?
Got a coveted offer? Did you go to work? Hooray. Well, since you are a marketer, immediately start looking for the next one. Few people realize this, but “stable work”, in which you can spend 8-10 years in a row, is already a utopia. The relevance of marketing practices is changing too quickly, and new branches are growing too actively. Willy-nilly will have to constantly monitor trends and develop adjacent areas.
Take the most active part in professional gatherings / seminars / webinars; reserve in advance for this part of your income (if the employer does not pay for it all). Your 1200 contacts with colleagues in FB, photos in Instagram with Igor Mann or an article in the profile edition will support your reputation as a steep and well-known pro in their circles, and your employer will once again convince you that he made an excellent purchase in your face.
It is clear that you should not immediately lay out a resume in open access to NN. You can periodically go to interviews - just for the purpose of intelligence. Just do it not too often, not more than once every couple of months - otherwise, again, you will become familiar with the market, and recruiters will perceive you as an "amateur athlete."
The main thing at the start of a career in a new company: even if you are a star and a strategist, first of all make friends with the sales department. Sadly, but from the point of view of the owner of the business, you are for them, not they are for you. Taking the indispensable position of a methodologist who knows exactly what and how, you get a simple and serious risk - any success will be the success of the sales department, but any failure will be a marketer's failure.
And, of course, no one has canceled the elementary rules - universal, as they say. Do not gossip. Clearly define your boundaries, do not mix working relationships with personal (well, as far as possible). Be ready at any second to answer your boss what you are doing and at what stage the project "X".
- Competition in marketing is incredibly strong, but proper promotion and real professionalism will help you to win;
- Since you are a marketer, you are expected to be particularly clear in the awareness of your professional goal and the results achieved. Everyone is waiting - from Eychara to the owner of the business; Strategies and creativity that you will talk about in an interview should be supported by concrete figures.
- Headhunter.Ru is your friend, but no less a friend - FB and LinkedIn, as well as instant messengers.
- Daily and hourly expand your network of contacts, PR, hang out. Otherwise, miss some nascent trend, and, as a result, a profitable career turn;
- You as a marketer would not be if it were not a sales department. Keep this in mind, but do not take a frankly service position.
And then everything will work out!